Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Am Mordred: A Tale from Camelot

I Am Mordred: A Tale from Camelot by Nancy Springer

I Am Mordred is a young adult fiction I chose for the Winter Reading Challenge. Originally my thought was to read I Am Morgan le Fay, also by Nancy Springer, but found that Mordred was released first, so chose to read them in order.

To be honest, as an Arthurian fan the Morgan le Fay book really caught my fancy since I loved Mists of Avalon and other Arthurian that include the women in the story. So I started Mordred with low expectations.

At 184 pages, it is definitely not a challenging read for an avid adult reader, Springer's writing is definitely directed to a younger audience, although her imagery is really lovely. But that said, I was hooked from the first sentence: "WHEN I WAS A BABY, MY FATHER TRIED TO KILL ME." Alrighty, then...we're headed at the story from a decidedly nontraditional angle.

Springer sets a well paced story that will keep a reader returning. Her portrait of Mordred, always a villain, will allow a reader to see first, not an angry vicious young man; but a child with a need to be loved, surrounded by a cast of characters trying to control their fates.

Definitely recommended for an older child (my rating would be 5th and above, possibly older for a sensitive reader). Teen/young adult readers with a passion for all things Arthurian will enjoy.

Robin of My Two Blessings is hostessing the Winter Reading Challenge.

No comments: