Monday, October 6, 2008

The Pawn

The Pawn by Steven James

I received The Rook by Steven James for review for a bloggers' book tour, courtesy of Glass Road Public Relations. The Rook is the second in the Patrick Bowers Files series. Ever the obsessed with starting a series at the beginning, I dutifully went to the library and checked out The Pawn so I would have some history of who Patrick Bowers, PhD was.

This is a very graphic novel, very well researched and so intense that if I read it at night I had to follow it with a chapter from another book as a chaser. The heebeegeebees, the willies, the creeps--this book gave me all of that and more. Steven James has looked into the mind of a madman and put it down on paper.

To be honest, this is not going to be a book for everyone. If you are someone who prefers comfortable reading, reading that is not graphic, this is not your book. Don't even try it. If however you like thrillers, this will draw you in and not let go until the last page.

I will say the first few chapters were not my favorite. The Prologue, while written well, was just flat out upsetting, depressing, sad and sick. But it was necessary for the premise for the whole book. Chapters 1 & 2 seemed a bit stilted. James alternates his narrator and it took those two chapters for me to get settled in. By Chapter 5 there was no way I could lay the book aside.

Steven James has subtly included the beginning of the salvation message in this book. I'm curious to see how he follows up with it in the Rook and any future books he writes for the series.

The promo video captures the book quite well.

1 comment:

Renee said...

This book sounds great. A little bit too thriller for me but my husband loves this type of book. Thanks for the heads up!