Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Okay. What rock have I been hiding under? This book is older than me and I am just finally falling in love with it.

Roo had A Wrinkle in Time on his reading list, and while I cannot keep up with all of his reading and mine, drive to dance, do laundry and put food on the table, I do try to read some of the books he is reading. Especially if he keeps telling me, "Mom! This is so great! Can I read another chapter?"

A Wrinkle in Time has been in my peripheral vision for as long as I have been homeschooling, which in my mind is as long as I have had children. It is often on the list of recommended reading lists, it is a Newbery Medal winner and I've heard several children mention reading it.

Is this a science fiction book about time and space travel? Is this a book about a young girl coming to terms with her uniqueness? Is this a religious book that shares about the battle between Light and darkness? Or is it all of the above?

Madeleine L'Engle drew criticism for the book being too religious from the more liberal minded thinkers and too New Age from Christians. Seems no one wants to be happy. With the terms "witch" and with aliens and faraway planets the book is definitely fantasy and science fiction. L'Engle knows Love and she knows how to share Scripture also. This book is undoubtedly Christian in theme.

If you've been under the same rock I was living under and didn't read it, I highly recommend it. If you are looking for a wonderful book for children, my son loved it.

My library lists this book as 5th to 8th grade reading level, with an interest level of ages 9-12. My opinion is that it would be a suitable read aloud for 2nd to 5th grades. And unless you are fossilized it is a completely enjoyable book for adults.

Happy reading!

1 comment:

Renee said...

My boys LOVED this book. We're working on the second in the series now. Great post.

Renee'
http://rmboys2.wordpress.com/