Big Picture Interactive Bible to review. My first thought when the Bible came was "Wow!"
Not sure what I was expecting when I agreed to review, but it was certainly not a full-sized Bible with a sturdy and very eye-catching cover. So out of the box (or mail bag, as it were) the quality was impressive. I was not familiar with the Holman Christian Standard translation, but some research allowed me to get acquainted and I must say the translation is one that I am very comfortable with--very easy to read, and yet with the impression that there are not "additions" to the Word.
From the publisher: Are our children really getting the full meaning of the stories as we read the Bible to them? When we read the Bible to our children, the stories are often in bits and pieces and focus on "being good." But children should get the message of "being saved" from reading the Bible instead. The Big Picture Interactive Bible (B&H Kids) is the first children's Bible of its kind-the Jesus story from start to finish, filled with features and interactive elements that capture the true meaning and significance behind all of the verses and stories.
The Big Picture Interactive Bible has nearly a thousand features in full color throughout including pictures of key items so children can understand what they're reading. The B&H Kids Augmented Reality App (free and available for Android and iPhone) creates a digital pop-up book when used with full-color illustrations, bringing the Bible to life for each child. It features the full text of the Holman Christian Standard Bible, a clear, contemporary English translation that's faithful to the original languages of the Bible.
Other features included are:
- Big Words - Colorful Bible Dictionary entry with photos, maps, illustrations and descriptions of key terms, right in the Bible text.
- Big Questions/Big Answers - Kids always want to know why. This feature asks and then answers many of the common "big questions" throughout the Bible.
- Christ Connection - This feature can be found from Genesis to Revelation and will help kids understand how each story points us to Christ and His work for us.
- Introductions - Basic information about the books of the Bible will give kids perspective on the who, what and when for each book as well as "the Big Picture" from that book and key stories it contains.
- Icons - Special icons are placed throughout the Bible to connect to the Gospel Project for Kids curriculum.
- Memory Verses - Scripture memorization is much more than "saying the words." When a child memorizes a Bible verse and puts it to practice in their daily life, that child begins to learn how God can lead his life. The top 100 verses to remember are highlighted throughout the Bible.
- Parent Connection - This feature is designed to help parents be empowered to engage deeper in the story with their kids.
- Seeing the Big Picture - This feature digs into key Bible stories to help young hearts and minds grasp the meaning and provide parents with extra information to discuss the Bible with their kids.
I think if someone had an I-Pad or other nice tablet it would be a very "cool" gadget. Truthfully, I don't know that the gadget is necessary. This is a very nice Bible and a loving parent reading with their children will make it a success.
This would be a great gift for an older adolescent, a tween or young teen.
Thanks to B&H Publishing Group for the Bible and the chance to review The Big Picture Interactive Bible.