Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Fall Into Reading 2009--At the Goal Post

My favorite season is autumn, time for turning leaves, turning the air conditioner off, turning a few pages of some wonderful books. Time for Katrina's Fall Into Reading 2009.

I've done this with varying success twice before in 2007 and 2008 and had a blast. There's something about having a goal and at least attaining part of it. Being a book addict is consuming sometimes. I have a habit of getting distracted from my original list.

This year I thought I might pick a limited list and just add to it as the days go on. As I stood in front of my burgeoning "To Be Read" SHELF I had to fight the urge to list all the books on there. I see & smell books and reason just flies out the window. What can I say?

So this is my "limited list" for 2009:

Out to Canaan by Jan Karon

Karon's books are always fresh and like a vacation in the town I've wanted to visit since I read her first book--At Home in Mitford. I'm sure I'll fly through this one, just as I've done with the predecessors.




Herbs and Apples by Helen Hooven Santmeyer

Santmeyer became one of my favorite authors nearly twenty years ago when I found her huge novel "...And Ladies of the Club." Within the last year, I've run across a couple more of her less published books and am glad for the chance to read more.



Bygones by Kim Vogel Sawyer

Stories of the Amish--the "Plain Folk" always interest me. I received this book a long time ago, read a few very interesting chapters and then for some reason got sidetracked. Time to pick it up again and finish it.




Armageddon Summer by Jane Yolen and Bruce Coville

Roo and I are reading books with themes including: futuristic projections, overpopulation, post-apocalyptic societies, dystopian/utopian societies. This caught my eye and I wanted to pre-read it before I handed it off to him. I've always been a fan of Jane Yolen's varied work and look forward to seeing how this story is handled.



Of Beetles & Angels by Mawi Asgedom

My sister gave me this book quite a while back with high recommendations. The story of this man's journey as a child from war torn east Africa to a Harvard scholar sounds remarkable.




M.C. Higgins, the Greatby Virginia Hamilton

It's hard to go wrong with a Newbery Medal book, although some of the Amazon reviews weren't terrible flattering. I'll reserve judgment until I read this children's literature myself




Ascension (Water Trilogy, Book 1)by Kara Dalkey

Honestly, the beautiful cover art on this book caught my eye. I have the trilogy and am looking forward to this young adult fantasy.



Thanks again to Katrina for her lovely challenge. Check out all the readers, and she has giveaways!! Always a fun thing.

Time to cozy up with tea or coffee and a good book.

I'm double posting my first Fall Into Reading 2009 post on both my blogs, the reviews will be here at Joyful Days Reviews & Recipes.

Fall Into Reading past;

Fall Into Reading 2008

Fall Into Reading 2007

No comments: