Monday, February 16, 2009

Memememememe.....

I'm slowly catching up with some blogging blessings and blogging fun that have come my way.

lilly at Reading Extravaganza has tagged me for a meme:

The rules for the tag are simple.Link to the person who has tagged you.Write down six things that make you happy.Post the rules, tag six others and let them know you did it. Then tell the person when your entry is complete.

Six things that make me happy? Only six? Let's make it six things that make me happy with a book. 'K??

1) Books that capture my fancy within the first paragraph.

2) Characters that are so real I dream about them.

3) A book so rich I want to read it again.

4) Books with sequels that are already out so I don't have to wait two years for the next installment

5) New books (or previously undiscovered books) by a beloved author.

6) When I find a book on my list at the Half Price Book Store for $2 or less.

I will tag:
Barbara
Carrie
Mrs. Pogle
Esther
gemma

AND YOU!! If you haven't played it is always fun to think of things that make you happy.

You don't have to make yours about books--just things that make you happy. Make it fit you! Play only if you want & have time.


Barbara at Stray Thoughts also tagged me for The Bookshelf Meme

Tell me about the book that’s been on your shelves the longest... That's kind of hard to say because I have so many books. My father's copy of The Robe and The Silver Chalice are on my shelves. He knows that. We talked about them the last time he was here. There are a couple children's books called The Summerfolk and another called All Horses Go to Heaven (that's what it's called--not a theological opinion). They've been part of my personal library for forever.

Tell me about a book that reminds you of something specific in your life (i.e. a person, a place, a time, etc.)... Marguerite Henry and Walter Farley both wrote about horses. When I was growing up, I was as horse crazy as they come. I remember repeatedly, we are talking over and over and over, checking their books out from the library. I recently read Misty of Chincoteague with Boo and it took me back to the huge old library where I remember some of my happiest times. Walter Farley wrote The Black Stallion series; Marguerite Henry wrote about 40 different stories about horses; Misty had foals and they got stories, but it was from reading her books and Farley's that I traveled to other countries, rode on the backs of unrideable horses, cleaned stalls, groomed coats, picked hooves, drove carts and so many other horse experiences. I can still smell the horses and hay...

Tell me about a book you acquired in some interesting way (gift, serendipity, in a used bookstore, prize, etc.)...
"...And Ladies of the Club.." by Helen Hooven Santemeyer is one of my all time favorite books. I first read it over thirteen years ago. Somewhere along the line I lost my first copy. I kept thinking..."Well, you already read it more than once. Why do you need to have it?" I wanted to read it again. And again. About two years ago I found a copy at a garage sale and since then have found a couple extra copies that I've been able to share with friends. At over 1000 pages it is a mountain of a book, but full of American history and memorable women.

Tell me about the most recent addition to your shelves... I picked up an old, old collection of Oscar Wilde's stories for $3 at (you guessed it) The Half Price Bookstore. It has The Picture of Dorian Gray, a story I've been meaning to read for a long time.

Tell me about a book that has been with you the most places... All of those books mentioned in the first question have followed me where ever I've gone. You can ask my family and friends--I don't travel light. My books go with me.

Tell me about a bonus book that doesn’t fit any of the above questions...Oh, I can't write about just one!! But maybe a set will do. I have my mother's collection of "Amish" books; some by Beverly Lewis and some by Wanda E. Brunstetter. They are good books that are refreshing to read.

The Rules
1. Tag 3-5 people, so the fun keeps going!
2. Leave a comment at the original post at A Striped Armchair, so that Eva can collect everyone’s answers.
3. If you leave a comment and link back to Eva as the meme’s creator, she will enter you in a book giveaway contest! She has a whole shelf devoted to giveaway books that you’ll be able to choose from, or a bookmooch point if you prefer.
4. Remember that this is all about enjoying books as physical objects, so feel free to describe the exact book you’re talking about, down to that warping from being dropped in the bath water…
5. Make the meme more fun with visuals! Covers of the specific edition you’re talking about, photos of your bookshelves, etc.


I took long enough on getting these out that I'm not posting visuals.

I will tag:

Kim
lilly
Renee

Only if you have time and want to play!

Whew!! That was some mememememeing...

3 comments:

Renee said...

Thanks for the tag! I've been off line for about a week and I'm so glad to be back. I'll get mine up soon.

Anonymous said...

I love books that capture my attention right away, too! Just thinking about it makes me want to go to my library and find a treasure like that. Lately I haven't made time for pleasure reading.

Autumn said...

Oooh, I will play later! :)
Thanks,
Mrs.P xx