Without the love of books the richest man is poor, but endowed with this treasure the poorest man is rich. –Leon Gutterman

Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008 Reading for Roo

Roo read thirty-one books the first part of 2008. The second half of 2008 Roo read 35 books. Sixty-six books is a great accomplishment! Roo is in fifth grade right now.

Some books that he's talked about a lot are the Fire Star series by Chris D'Lacey, the Guardians of Ga'Hoole by Kathryn Lasky and the Septimus Heap books by Angie Sage. Do you see a fantasy trend there? I do. I made sure that he had some good non-fiction books and alternate types of fiction to round out his reading.

One book I know that stood out for him was Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin. It is a biography of a dancer growing up under the last days of the Mao regime and his defection to the United States. There is a juvenile version of this, but I chose to let Roo read the adult version with supervision and lots of conversation and I am glad that I did. He read a copy from the library, but has asked for a copy of his own. I'm looking!

Great job, Buddy!

Roo's Reads: July-December



Apologies for the poor editing on this post!!

No comments: