Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008 Reading for Roo

Roo read thirty-one books the first part of 2008. The second half of 2008 Roo read 35 books. Sixty-six books is a great accomplishment! Roo is in fifth grade right now.

Some books that he's talked about a lot are the Fire Star series by Chris D'Lacey, the Guardians of Ga'Hoole by Kathryn Lasky and the Septimus Heap books by Angie Sage. Do you see a fantasy trend there? I do. I made sure that he had some good non-fiction books and alternate types of fiction to round out his reading.

One book I know that stood out for him was Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin. It is a biography of a dancer growing up under the last days of the Mao regime and his defection to the United States. There is a juvenile version of this, but I chose to let Roo read the adult version with supervision and lots of conversation and I am glad that I did. He read a copy from the library, but has asked for a copy of his own. I'm looking!

Great job, Buddy!

Roo's Reads: July-December



Apologies for the poor editing on this post!!

No comments: